Do you have a vision on how the energy markets will evolve and can you translate this into impactful business opportunities with sustainability as a core value?
Nouryon is your partner in essential chemistry for a sustainable future. Our Business Unit (BU) Industrial Chemicals produces and markets for instance high purity salt and chlorine, with a primary a focus at North-Western Europe. These products are essential basics in your daily life. Energy is a key component in the cost base of our products, an important risk factor but also the element to achieve our sustainability goals.
The Competence Team Energy (CT Energy) is part of Industrial Chemicals. Our department is responsible for managing the energy and utilities contracts, exposures and the energy portfolio of products like natural gas, electricity and emission allowances. Hedging is used to reduce risk and to optimize our own production as energy market prices fluctuate. The size of the portfolio within Industrial Chemicals is several TWhs in power, several hundred tons of steam per hour, the purchase volume is about 0.3 billion EUR per year.
Nouryon has set ambitious sustainability targets. CT Energy has been the driver for sustainability projects ranging from steam from biomass and waste incineration, to contracting electricity from wind farms. So far we have managed to build a green energy portfolio towards 45% of our total energy consumption. The mission of our team is to act as a strategic advisor, translate rapidly changing developments and challenges into effective internal advice and decision-making, supporting our local sites and relevant businesses.
The challenge and the job
Nouryon’s Industrial Chemicals business is facing several important energy related challenges, in which the CT Energy fulfills the central role:
• Transforming our pre-dominantly gas fired portfolio towards a competitive sustainable portfolio;
• Diversifying our energy mix in order to build the circular and green chemical industry of the future;
• Executing a hedging strategy aiming to reduce exposures naturally and managing residual risks centrally;
• Unlocking value from the flexible operation of our (chemical) plants;
• Present Nouryon and our agenda in a broad external field such as national and international branch organizations.
• You will be closing new multi-year energy contracts for our sites and act as negotiator;
• You will be executing our energy strategy aiming for competitively priced energy, reduction of our carbon footprint and to diversify the portfolio of gas powered steam units, by closing sustainable PPA’s and/ or steam contracts;
• You will perform energy market analytics/ intelligence and give advice on and execute hedges for power, gas and carbon;
• You will be analyzing implications and consequences of (potential) changes in regulatory frameworks;
• You will be initiating and executing projects with a positive impact on our carbon footprint and creating value for our business;
• You will be able to present yourself, the projects and our agenda to internal and external audiences.