Nouryon, headquartered in the Netherlands, is a multi-national company with global presence and market leading positions in Specialty Chemicals. The central Treasury function is responsible for Treasury and Insurance for the global group.
Within Treasury, Business Treasury manages inter-company funding, currency risk, liquidity, cash management, trade finance and in-house payment processes. Business Treasury supports the business as one global team, located in 3 regional hubs in Shanghai, Sao Paulo and Amsterdam/Arnhem.
The head of the Asian regional team reports to the Director Business Treasury and acts as business partner for the businesses operating in Asia, including China, Australia, India, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand and Japan. This role is key in translating the global treasury agenda to the business; the role has 3 direct reports.
Key objectives of this role are to manage the delivery of all treasury processes for the region:
- Lead the regional treasury team.
- Business partnering; train, educate and create awareness within the business to secure compliance, standardization and continuous improvement for all treasury processes and support the business in performance improvement projects.
- Active bank and stakeholder relationship management.
- Deliver best in class treasury processes and expertise to the business in terms of risk management, cash management, trade finance, bank management and insurance coordination.
- Optimize funding of the legal entities in the region.
- Manage treasury operations, ensure SOX compliant
- Support the business in restructuring and M&A projects.
- Maintain and further improve Treasury governance
Complexity in this role comes from sustaining a balance between global efficiencies based on standardization, rules and processes on the one hand and local effectiveness working in various countries with different local regulations, bank practices, financial markets, state of technology and cultures. Further complexity stems from the variety of entities being wholly owned, joint ventures, partnerships or sometimes separately listed.
To effectively drive the treasury agenda, the job holder has to liaise with many stakeholders, for example: the business (BU, sBU, country organization and local entity), shared service centers, functions (Control, Accounting, Legal, Tax, Audit, Procurement, HR, Strategy / M&A), local, regional and global banks, treasury service providers and local regulators.
Lead the regional treasury team
- Lead the team and ensure an inspiring environment to work in, that lives the Nouryon values, creates opportunity to learn and develop and that is fun!
- Establish one self and the team as treasury focal point for the businesses (BU, sBU, and local entity) based in the region, country organization, functions (Control, Accounting, Legal, Tax, Audit, HR), banks, shared service centers, insurance companies/brokers and local regulators.
- Ensure effective review of investment & business proposals and sign-off on Treasury input.
- Support the organization in change management processes and projects to achieve the Finance targets, e.g. ERP harmonization and process standardization via participation in regional/local projects.
- Deploy and embed new rules, manuals, guidelines and processes. Train, educate and create awareness with the business to secure compliance, standardization and continuous improvement for all treasury processes.
Active bank relationship management
- Build a strong and trusted relationship with the different experts in the banks, service providers, local regulators and peers.
- Foreign currency risk management (execution); provide training, identify and assess exposures, advice in specific deals or contracts and set-up processes (via HQ or local bank) to – if necessary – effectively manage local exposures.
- Cash management; provide effective and efficient processes to ensure that the businesses are able to pay and receive every day in the region. In addition, ensure that controls like limits and authorizations are adhered to. Delivery by cash management banks is governed by regular engagement, credit (facility) agreements and service reviews.
- Trade Finance; provide guidance and infrastructure to execute trade finance products, e.g. letters of credit, bank guarantees.
- Bank Management; engage with banks to ensure sustainable relations that maximize (credit) support at minimum costs with excellent service levels.
Optimal funding of the legal entities in the region
- Lead the preparation of inter-company funding plans per entity / country in consultation with tax, legal, accounting and control.
- Drive cash visibility in the region and maintain optimal cash balances at legal entity level through liquidity planning in close cooperation with the business.
- Cooperate with Tax and Legal for effective structuring and tax optimization.
- Manage regional liquidity structure and cash positions.
- Day-to-day operations which includes In-house bank and bank reconciliation, daily liquidity management and the processing of payments via the payment factory, in coordination with treasury headquarters.
- Manage daily execution of regional payment factory activities. This includes engaging with businesses, IT and central Treasury on relevant issues and exceptions.
- Manage regional collection center processes.
- Implement changes and improvements to existing banking software, systems and structures (continuous regional process improvement).
M&A transactions, large capex and pre-deal/post deal restructuring
- Support special transactions with deal structuring, valuation and funding.
- Coordinate treasury disentanglement / integration, including financial exposures.
- Deploy group treasury policies; i.e. directives, rules, guidelines and procedures.
- Build treasury knowledge and awareness in the region; e.g. via participation in the Finance Academy, presentations and training programs.
- Procure adherence via engagement and controlling measures like in-control and SOX audit reviews. Advise on and process requests for policy exception
Skills and experience
- An in-depth knowledge of, and a proven track record of success in, treasury management functions in a comparable high profile organization.
- A proven track record of undertaking financial analysis, complex modelling and providing financial advice to people in senior management roles.
- A deep knowledge of international cash management processes, trade finance, risk management and corporate finance / tax planning.
- Proficiency with Treasury workstations and banking systems a significant plus Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience. Advanced Degree preferred.
- 8 to 10 years of Treasury or Finance experience with at least 5 years’ management experience.
- A track record of contributing analysis and supporting decisions of senior management
- Strong collaborative team player with a service-oriented mind-set to support colleagues and engage a team of professionals.
- Coaching leadership style while delivering business results in a professional manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a disciplined fashion, in line with policies and procedures (disciplined, methodological and structured).
- Able to mobilize diverse teams, innovate through design and think lateral.
- Personal integrity and ambassador of the company values.