The Global Logistics HSE&S and Regulatory Leader will lead the development, execution and review of the HSE&S and regulatory compliance components of a Logistics Management System. The Leader will ensure the safe, secure, compliant and sustainable transport, storage and distribution of all inbound and outbound Nouryon materials, by leading the organization towards the vision of zero incidents and non-compliances, and a neutral to positive impact on the environment and society. In addition, the professional will develop and lead a corporate Transportation/Distrtion Risk Assessment and Management strategy, process and related protocols, policies and procedures, with the objective of identifying, mitigating, managing and communicating the priority HSE&S, regulatory compliance and corporate reputational risks associated with the transport and distribution of Nouryon materials.
- Owner of all HSE&S and regulatory compliance elements of the Logistics Operating Discipline.
- Responsible for the O.D. development, implementation, periodic effectiveness assessments, audits and continuous improvement.
- Develop and lead global logistics HSE&S, regulatory compliance and sustainability strategies and plans, including KPI’s and performance improvement plans which are aligned with corporate objectives, plans and actions.
- Lead and develop a corporate logistics advocacy strategy and plans which are aligned and integrated with corporate, regional and business strategies and plans.
- Continuously improve and train global businesses, functions and regions in the application of a robust and industry best-practice Transportation/Distribution Risk Assessment and Management process and related protocols, policies and procedures.
- Process owner of the global Transportation/Distribution Incident Response, communications and reporting protocols, partnering with the corporate HSE&S director, to ensure the globally consistent and thorough use and continuous improvement of these processes, and the alignment and integration with corporate Emergency Response and Business Continuity protocols.
- Lead the implementation and application of transportation & distribution HSE&S, risk assessment and management and operating disciplines associated with inbound raw materials, intermediates, and intercompany shipments.
- Lead the implementation and execution of an HSE&S and regulatory compliance qualification, performance review and audit process for carriers, terminals, warehouses, 3rd party packagers, tollers, distributors, and other logistics service providers.
- Work closely with Nouryon legal department to ensure consistent interpretation and application of transport regulations.
- Initiate and/or lead distribution risk review for large corporate projects such as M&A, major capital projects, new region or market entries, major procurement activities, new customers, etc.
- Provide direct consultation and input to the corporate Enterprise Risk Management process and leadership team regarding any relevant transportation/distribution risk issues.
- Final HSE&S and regulatory compliance related qualification or disqualification decisions on logistics service providers, up to and including the largest global service providers.
- Provide interpretation of transportation safety and security regulations to Nouryon logistics and business leadership.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Operations Research, or related field from 4-year accredited college or university.
- 15+ years experience in international chemical logistics / supply chain operations.
- 10+ years experience with chemical logistics safety and regulatory compliance, including dangerous goods, and international shipping safety and compliance experience.
- Experience with carrier relationship management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General working knowledge of major transport regulations such as DOT, TDG Canada, SCT Mexico, IATA/ICAO, IMDG and ADR transport regulations.
- Knowledgeable of a variety of package types (samples, bags, boxes, drums, IBCs, portable tanks, isotanks, cargo tanks, rail tank cars) and regulatory compliance issues specific to modes of transport. Proven leadership skills including leading remote and diverse global teams with a clear vision and strategy, results-orientation, and inspirational change catalyst.
- Demonstrated knowledge and leadership experience in managing logistics activities at a global level.
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to communicate with various levels and functions within the organization, including global team members.
- Ability to make effective decisions based on data available while setting a clear path forward.
- A strong balance of strategic thinking and tactical operations management skills.
- Ability to travel frequently up to 50%, including international trips.