Career Opportunity: Sr. Chemist Req. #5135
Nouryon is a global specialty chemicals leader. Markets and consumers worldwide rely on our essential solutions to manufacture everyday products, such as personal care, cleaning goods, paints and coatings, agriculture and food, pharmaceuticals, and building products. The dedication of more than 8,000 employees with a shared commitment to our customers, business growth, safety, sustainability, and innovation has resulted in a consistently strong financial performance.
We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol. Please visit our website at: https://www.nouryon.com/
Nouryon has an excellent opportunity for a Sr. Chemist at the Pasadena Site in Houston, TX.
The Pasadena Site manufactures organic peroxides which are sold to major manufacturers of thermoplastic resins such, as PVC, LDPE, polypropylene, EPS, and acrylic resins. Organic Peroxide products are hazardous, mainly due to temperature-controlled transportation and handling. The Pasadena Site also manufactures thermoset and crosslinking peroxides.
The primary objective of this position is to provide analytical support and maintain the instrumentation & GC equipment in the analytical laboratory. Conducts and develops analyses of organic peroxides to determine and evaluate their chemical and physical properties, and to investigate their compliance to customer and product specifications. Develop and maintain NIR models to support efficiency and production objectives.
- Conduct routine and non-routine analytical procedures requiring sophisticated instrumentation (particularly GC’s)
- Develop new test methods in support of manufacturing processes
- Complete analytical requests from sales, technical services, production, and logistics
- Evaluate, procure, install, and maintain laboratory GC instrumentation
- Conduct calibration of laboratory GC instrumentation
- Training of lab personnel on use of instrumentation and new methods (JAs)
- Back up to Laboratory Manger, as needed
- Other duties and assignments as directed by supervisor/manager
- Understand and help implement the site’s Quality Goals and Objectives, and the Lean Six Sigma Process (L6S)Aware of assigned Quality Assurance responsibilities
- Familiar with sitewide document control, internal quality audits, corrective action, non-conforming product, and record keeping procedures
- Understand your specific quality assurance responsibilities
- Ensure your direct reports are aware of and are adequately trained in quality procedures, if applicable
- Job Requirements:
- BS or MS in Chemistry
- 5 - 10 years of plant experience
- Computer programming skills (ChemStation and MSOffice).
- Minimum prior experience for satisfactory performance is dependent on educational background.
- Experience in NIR modelling, preferred
- Strong analytical & troubleshooting skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Effective computer skills
- Read, write, and communicate in English
- Wear respirator, as needed
- Must be able to wear high-top, steel-toed safety shoes, safety glasses, FRC’s and aluminized suit
- Must be able to work in and around laboratory chemicals
*All applicants offered positions by Nouryon, will be required to provide proof of their fully vaccinated COVID-19 status prior to beginning employment, subject to any exceptions made by Nouryon for religious or disability-related reasons*
*All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status*