The Nouryon Asphalt Applications Team operates globally and provides its customers with emulsifiers, adhesion promoters and warm mix additives. These products are backed by first class technical support. The Asphalt business has many small customers who depend on the technical support provided by suppliers and distributors.
The job requires a thorough knowledge of asphalt applications and test methods and someone with excellent communications skills who can accurately identify and address customer needs. It requires a resourceful person with the ability to provide creative solutions to meet changing customer needs, regulatory constraints, and sustainability goals. Active participation in RD&I projects, technical support activities for customers and internal continuous improvement activities:
- Provide technical support for Nouryon’s asphalt chemicals business by performing in-house application testing of products for our customers and to support the introduction of new products to meet industry and customer needs
- Active participation in RD&I projects, technical support activities for customers and internal continuous improvement activities:
- Preparation and evaluation of asphalt emulsions formulations
- Capturing the results in reports and presentations
- Conduct technical service and R&D laboratory work including planning, sample preparation, asphalt emulsification, emulsion testing, mix design for slurry and micro-surfacing, analysis of results, analytical and rheological testing, reformulation work, participation in team projects and other duties as assigned
- Main contact for technical support requests for asphalt application:
- Maintain good laboratory records, including laboratory notebooks, technical reports and progress reports, and work closely with Sales and Marketing
- Communicate results with sales managers and customers for asphalt applications
- Participate in customer visits as required and work on customer projects such as customized products, formulations or application development using Nouryon’s surfactants and technologies. Develop technical relationships with customers
- Responsible for keeping our test methods and equipment up to date in close cooperation with QC-Labs:
- Align quality control procedures in Bridgewater with methods used in our QC-labs
- Stay up to date with development in asphalt applications and testing equipment
- Be responsible for maintenance and calibration of equipment
- Responsible for ordering raw materials and lab equipment
- Be prepared to travel to job sites and customers if necessary (~20%)
- Active participation in technical trainings for our salespeople and distributors
- Participate in preparation of education material and promotion material
Education & Experience
- B.Sc. or M.Sc., in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering
- 1-5 years of experience in asphalt applications or related laboratory work.
- Hands-on experience in asphalt emulsion formulation and mix design for micro-surfacing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Good working knowledge of chemistry. Knowledge of surfactants, rheology, asphalt, statistics a plus
- There is a strong preference for a practical person who is hands-on in the laboratory and possesses good interpersonal skills enabling them to interact with sales staff and customers
- Proactive, independent and results driven.
- Team player with communication and interpersonal skills
- Drive for creating a safe and healthy working environment
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Must be capable of representing Nouryon at customers, and in industry technical meetings and seminars, displaying professionalism, always