Sr. Researcher - Synthesis
This Sr. Researcher position is for an organic synthesis expert within the Product Chemistry group at the Bridgewater Innovation Center of the Performance Formulations Business Unit of Nouryon. You will be part of a team of scientists that provides support for the development of new products and the improvement of existing products and processes. At the Innovation Center, the Product Chemistry group collaborates with teams specializing in agricultural, asphalt, personal care, hair spray, cleaning, and other applications. Highly focused short-term contributions, as well as participation in cross-functional teams working on complex longer-term projects, are expected. All work must be carefully recorded, and clear, concise reports are to be produced and delivered to a larger audience. Where appropriate, patents are to be filed to protect intellectual property that is developed
- Provide synthesis support for the development of new products and the improvement of existing products and processes.
- Perform as a core member of cross-functional project teams including marketing, end-user applications, regulatory, analytical, and manufacturing functions.
- Protection of Nouryon technologies / intellectual property.
- Adhere to high laboratory practice standards and participate in the continuous improvement process.
- Maintain company safety standards and live the company values.
Education & Experience
- PhD in Organic Chemistry or Chemical Synthesis preferred; Master’s degree in Chemistry with 3 - 5 years relevant industrial experience will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in polymerization, hydrogenation, quaternization, and alkoxylation a plus.
- Experience in high pressure (autoclave) chemistry a plus.
- Familiarity with surfactant chemistry a plus.
- Knowledge of NMR, IR, GC, LC, MS, and wet methods (titration) is required.
- Experience with statistical design of experiments a plus.
- Position requires a hands on problem solver with excellent laboratory skills.
- Experience in structured project management a plus.
- Exposure to chemical manufacturing environment a plus.
- The candidate will have good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- The position will require some travel (~10%).
- Strong work ethic, proactive self-starter.
- Inherent safety focus.
Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemicals in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, and personal care items. Building on the dedication of our employees and our shared commitment to safety, sustainability, and open innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers.
Nouryon offers a comprehensive array of benefits to support the well-being of our employees and their families. This includes paid vacation time, paid holidays, sick time, heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision plans, and a generous retirement savings plan in which the Company matches employee contributions at 100% on the first 6% of pay and makes an additional 3%+ service-based contribution.
All applicants offered positions by Nouryon will be required to provide proof of their fully vaccinated COVID-19 status prior to beginning employment, subject to any exceptions made by Nouryon for religious or disability-related reasons.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.