The Senior Surfactants Scientist will join the Nouryon team and be responsible for the research, development, and evaluation of surfactant ingredients for the home and personal care segments. This may include developments for various sub-segments, such as hard surface cleaners, degreasers, laundry and dish washing products, personal cleansing systems, conditioners, sunscreens, and skin care products.
- Provide solutions for technical challenges based on deep scientific knowledge of surfactants for consumer markets, with biosurfactant knowledge.
- Understanding of key surfactant principles, including wetting, foaming, antifoaming, emulsifying, solubilizing, detergency.
- Conduct research and development of experimental surfactants in the target home and personal care application areas.
- Demonstrate knowledge of surfactant interactions to offer formulation and/or application solutions using Nouryon’s ingredients in the target home and personal care application areas.
- Use, improve, and implement new methodologies and tools to link test data to consumer attributes in above market areas.
- Provide input to the business and/or RD&I strategy, translating this strategy into plans and initiatives for the development of own field of expertise.
- Identify opportunities for technical innovation and translating them to RD&I initiatives.
- Deliver results for large sized and/or complex projects on time, with Project Management skills.
- Identify project needs and organize & execute projects, accordingly, reporting results to the SBU, BU, or business levels
- Lead the technical portion of innovation projects and ensure execution and delivery, using multiple areas of expertise
- Create new technological developments and link them to market trends/customer needs; translate these into RD&I initiatives
- Discover new methods of utilizing scientific equipment for relevant research methods and techniques in own field as well as develop, implement, and improve existing methods and techniques
- Generate IP applications to protect own research work and analyze 3rd party IP and formulate response to Examiner actions
- Formulate and present possible solution directions and issue advice at request or at own initiative
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of products, solutions, and/or technologies in respective field
- Understand impact of future drivers and apply this knowledge to the development and improvement of technologies
- Mentor, train, and coach colleagues to build knowledge and expertise
- Maintain and promote a safe work environment. End results are zero or minimum safety incidents and a clean, orderly working environment
- Functional Excellence: Surfactant Research, Development & Application
- Problem Solver
- Experimental Principles and Design
- Business and Technical Communication
- Market and Product Insight
- Excellent multi-tasking, organizational, and communication (written and presentation) skills
- Interface internally with the marketing, technical service, technology, and manufacturing groups, and externally with customers to fulfill solution needs within targeted home and personal care markets
- MS or PhD in Chemistry or related field
- Ten to fifteen+ years of surfactants research and development experience, preferably in the home and personal care market segments
- Perform hands-on laboratory bench work
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the technical and business networks
- 10-15% travel, required