Purpose of the Job
The purpose of Mechanic is to help maintain the operation of the plant and to make repairs needed to keep the plant running in a safe manner.
- Responsible for ensuring safety, environmental and housekeeping standards are met.
- Responsible for compliance with all operating procedures, safety policies and procedures, environmental policies and procedures, quality policies and procedures, and site policies and procedures.
- Correct and report all unsafe acts and conditions to the Maintenance Foreman.
- Will carry out directives and instructions in a safe, timely, efficient, and accurate manner.
- Accurately document and file documentation of instruments and of the PM’s preformed.
- Will be able to safely operate transportation machinery relevant to job assignment such as forklift, rail mover (locomotive), etc.
- Able to read and interpret process and equipment documentation (loop sheets, blow-up diagrams, troubleshooting flowcharts, etc)
- Perform lock-out / tag out, line breaking, confined space, etc by procedure with proper documentation
- Able to read and understand indicators (pressure gauges, flow meters, temperature gauges, volt/amp meters, etc.)
- Assemble, install & remove chlorate cells and jumpers with proper documentation.
- Assemble heat exchangers
- Perform basic steel and sheet metal fabrication
- Troubleshoot and repair hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Troubleshoot, replace and properly lubricate bearings, seals, packing, etc
- Perform basic pipe fitting and installation procedures
- Perform rigging / lifting operations using the proper equipment and techniques
- Perform common rigging with the aid of specific instructions and average supervision
- Recognize by various methods faults in machinery and components
- Lubricate equipment using proper materials and techniques
- Have a basic understanding of plant processes
- Operate cutting torch and plasma cutter
- Weld common materials in flat position (carbon steel, etc)
- Make accurate measurements including those made with a micrometer
- Replace belt filters, filter cloths, etc.
- Troubleshoot and replace steam traps, valves (relief, metering, isolation and check), gauges, strainers and other piping system components.
- Perform service and repair on plant vehicles (club cars, automobiles, forklifts, etc)
- Troubleshoot and repair faults and problems in plant equipment, determine root cause and develop method(s) to predict / prevent re-occurance (PM development). This includes but is not limited to pumps, seals, drives, hydraulics, etc.
- Understand total plant operations and equipment relationships
- Remove, overhaul, install and align pumps, couplings, belts, sheaves and other rotating equipment to tolerance
- Properly use technical measuring equipment (micrometers, calipers, dial indicators, laser alignment, etc)
- Lay-out, fabricate and install complex piping systems with minimum Supervision
- Able to weld carbon steel in the flat and vertical positions by means of SMAW, GMAW and TIG processes and weld Stainless steel in the flat and vertical poition with the SMAWor TIG process and use of oxy-acetylene equipment on pipe, structural steel and plates.
- Weld / bond plastics (CPVC, FEP/FRP, etc)
- Work / communicate directly with operations management to efficiently perform plant maintenance
- Actively participate in plant meetings (HAZOP, PCR, PSSR, etc)
- Perform area PM's and complete documentation.
- Will be in contact with several different chemicals and will know how to work safely with those chemicals.
- Will be responsible to follow all plant wide safety procedures which includes but is not limited to wearing (and maintaining) specified safety clothing, equipment and communication devices.
- Participate in Process Hazard Analysis.
- Will be required to assist in the development and implementation of the Process Safety Management System.
- Will be required to participate in plant safety programs and initiatives.
- Responsible for carrying out all phases of the day to day job activities so as to meet or exceed applicable quality requirements as defined in the Department ISO procedures and QMS procedures.
- Will play a key role in maintaining the company's Total Quality Program as required by the Plant Management or by changes in the process.
Education, Training and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent or 2 year Chemical Industry experience.
- Prefer associates or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or three years or more related experience and/or training.