The Houston Area Engineering Manager role will be responsible for general management and execution of the capital project portfolio for the Nouryon facilities in the Houston area . This is a “working manager” position that includes portfolio management, project management and people management.
Direct reports include both Nouryon employees and secondees. Total team size is anticipated to typically be 8-14 Project Managers, Project Engineers, Discipline Engineers, Designers and Construction Coordinators, fluctuating as needed to appropriately staff projects.
The position reports to the Regional Capex Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leadership of local project execution team.
- Mentor Project Engineers and Project Managers.
- Manage the relation with a large variety of stakeholders.
- Organize, develop, and lead multidisciplinary projects and programs
- Initiate projects and programs, define scope and activities, lead decision taking and manage uncertainties and expectations of a varied group of stakeholders.
- Participate in and/or lead project scope definition, project studies, etc. to meet business/manufacturing requirements.
- Responsible for execution of capital projects from FEL through Construction and start-up utilizing global project execution work processes, with appropriate and approved adaptation for fit-for-purpose execution.
- Promote, lead and maintain safety at construction sites, following Nouryon policies and OSHA guidelines.
- Prepare budget or AR (Authorization Request) funding estimates.
- Prepare, monitor and progress project schedules.
- Prepare or support the preparation of ARs for funding approval.
- In collaboration with Nouryon CapEx Procurement, prepare and issue Request For Proposals for construction contracts, engineering services, and process equipment.
- Selection and management of construction contractors and construction staff.
- Ensure project is designed in accordance with all applicable codes and standards, including those of Nouryon.
- Assure that all necessary permits are obtained.
- Project cost monitoring and control.
- Project Risk Assessment and Management.
- Report project progress to CapEx Management, the Project Steering Committee and the Manufacturing Director.
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Chemical or Mechanical or Civil engineering.
- 10+ years of prior project management experience successfully leading projects full cycle through completion. Proven experience in leading project teams and demonstrated ability to delegate tasks to team members while leading them to be successful in executing those tasks.
- High level of knowledge in reading and understanding project engineering documents such as P&IDs, PFDs, project execution plans, project schedules, cost reports, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills to direct work and lead teams.
- Previous experience as a direct line manager.
- Strong team working skills: collaboration, engagement and involvement of multiple stakeholders.
- Must have strong safety leadership skills: demonstrated success delivering project that meet safety requirements.
- Good communication and presentation skills are required.
- PMP certification preferred. It will be required within 18 months of hire, not already held.