Safe operation of the relevant Sodium Chlorate Process and leadership of the personnel working in the relevant Sodium Chlorate Process resulting in sodium chlorate and hydrogen product meeting customer quality requirements. The person in this position reports to the Sodium Chlorate Production Foreman.
- Responsible for ensuring safety, environmental and housekeeping standards are met.
- Must know the location, proper operation, and inspection procedures of safety equipment at the site. Such equipment includes: safety showers, jump tanks, fire extinguishers, SCBA’s, fire pumps and hoses, and respirators.
- Responsible to maintain proper operating process conditions to continuously produce a quality product.
- Responsible for compliance with all operating procedures, safety policies and procedures, environmental policies and procedures, quality policies and procedures, and site policies and procedures.
- Lead, direct, guide and support personnel working in their assigned process in the execution of the procedures, preparation of equipment for maintenance, and operating plans prescribed by the Process Foreman.
- Correct and report all unsafe acts and conditions to the Process Foreman.
- Accurately documents normal, upset, and special process conditions in the appropriate location as determined by management.
- Take necessary action in unforeseen situations such as shutdowns, equipment failures, and emergencies in order to secure the process and correct the situation.
- Provide input to the Process Foreman for the purposes of evaluating the personnel assigned to his/her shift.
- Maintain a positive and professional working environment in the workplace. This will include, but is not limited to, preventing harassment of personnel, motivating and training department employees to excel in their responsibilities and supporting the goals of the site.
- Must possess an adequate level of general knowledge of adjacent processes of the site.
- Ensure that cleanliness of plant is well maintained.
- Must possess theoretical and practical detailed knowledge of all equipment in the process, particularly the salt evaporator, crystallizers, electrolytic cells, and the dry ends.
- Must possess sufficient economical knowledge of raw material consumption, cell voltage and current efficiency concerning the relationship to production cost.
- Report accidents, errors, near-misses, and other unexplained occurrences to the Shift Team Leader or Process Foreman.
- Will provide training to Process Technicians as needed to learn the skills of the Chief Technician.
- Will work a shift schedule as assigned by the Process Foreman.
- High School Diploma/GED with at least 2 years post-secondary/military education (technical area preferred), or three (3) years or more experience in the Chemical Industry
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and respond to technical data associates with the plant operation including demonstrating mechanical aptitude
- Ability to work with and apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, decimals, and percentages and to apply the results to plant operations. Must be able to work with metric system measurements and conversions
- Ability to solve practical and operational problems in the plant environment is crucial
- Ability to interpret sample results and take appropriate responsive actions
- Ability to interpret and accurately implement a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Ability to work with Computer controlled Plant Operations is required
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus