We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
The Pasadena site manufactures organic peroxides which are sold to major manufacturers of thermoplastic resins such as PVC, LDPE, polypropylene, EPS and acrylic resins. Organic Peroxide products are hazardous, mainly due to temperature controlled transportation and handling. The Pasadena site also manufactures thermoset and crosslinking peroxides, as well as toll produces optical monomers. The Production Engineer is responsible for her/his manufacturing units at the site.
Key Objective of Position: Reporting to the Operations Manager the Production Engineering will work as a technical resource for operations to optimize plant operations while enabling safe and efficient production of quality products.
• Develop process improvements to effectively utilize equipment, material, and resource to maximize unit profitability.
• Diagnose and document root causes of deviations in the unit and improve operating discipline.
• Earn respect and trust of operations team through excellent problem solving skills and technical expertise.
• Ensure compliance with plant operating permits.
• Implement cost reduction initiatives while maintaining high quality standards.
• Investigate problems, analyze root causes and drive solutions.
• Provide training and guidance to team members to accomplish production goals.
• Respond urgently to unit issues and emergencies. Act as a unit technical expert during unplanned events and drive implementation of effective corrective and preventative actions.
• Stay current with product specifications, engineering technology and production processes.
Health, Safety, Security and Environment Specific Responsibilities:
• Understand and help implement the Pasadena Functional Chemicals Site Operating Policy and Objectives which includes MTQ and ISO/RC 14001. Enforce all health, safety, security and environmental policies in assigned units.
• Be aware of potential environmental impacts in your area of responsibility and the consequences if an upset occurs.
• Understand and implement any parts of the Polymer Chemicals Environmental Waste Management Plan that applies to area of responsibility
• Participate in the site’s on-going Pollution Prevention Process.
• B.S degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
• 0-5 years production experience in chemical facility
• Experience as a co-op or internship is a plus for new graduates.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and work in a team environment
• Capable of identifying best practices
• Must be able to wear respirator if needed, steel toed shoes and safety glasses to go into plant environment.