We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
This role provides Process Automation expertise and support to the production team. The Controls and Automation Engineer is a key point of information and guidance for the Basic Process Control System (BPCS) functionality at the site. Corporate BPCS and Cyber Security improvements and KPI’s will be implemented and maintained by this role. This role will work directly with and serve as the backup to the site Process Automation and Instrumentation Engineer.
• Experience in Process Control Systems support and networking technologies such as ICSS systems, BPCS systems, SIS systems, batch software, HMI software, SCADA systems and PC networking / communications technologies in an operating plant in chemical or refining industries.
• Demonstrated ability to learn new chemical processes
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Writing and verbal communication skills to promote ideas, train operators and oversee contractors
• Willing and able to support systems 24x7 including weekends, holidays and evening as required.
• Provide installation and support for all plant control systems, data acquisition systems and maintenance team objectives
• Maintain the EPI – data historian
• Champion Alarm Rationalization and life cycle management
• Issue, review and approve MOC’s related to the BPCS
• Provide engineering support for multiple small capital projects simultaneously including scope definition, engineering design, cost estimation, software configuration, bid package preparation, MOC preparation, oversee contractors, manage shutdown/commissioning, startup phases and train operators.
• Perform alarm rationalization and life cycle maintenance
• Provide instrumentation and control systems support for large capital projects
• Experience in basic instrumentation specification development and installation
• Capacity to achieve skill level in new technologies in a few months
• Experience working in and maintain a BPCS virtual environment
Health, Safety, Security & Environmental Specific Responsibilities:
• Understands and helps implement the SBU HSES / Responsible Care Policy and related objectives
• Aware of potential environmental, health, safety and security impacts in area of responsibility and consequences if an upset occurs
• Understands and implements any parts of the Houston Environmental Compliance Plan, Waste Management Plan and Emergency Response Plan that applies to area of responsibility
• Basic knowledge or willingness to train on LOPA
• Adherence to the site MOC process and safety requirements
• Perform and support required testing and documentation for process and SIS interlocks
• Engineering degree from an accredited university required, Chemical Engineering preferred
• At least five (5) years’ experience in general process control to include loop tuning, designing and implementing batch and continuous control systems. Prefer eight (8) years or more experience
• Familiarity with applicable codes, standards and practices
• Alarm rationalization experience preferred
• Familiarity with hardware associated with control systems
• Chemical manufacturing or refining industry experience required
• Familiarity with SIS systems preferred
• Hands on experience with control systems required, DeltaV preferred
• Experience with LOPA preferred but not required
• Must work well in a team environment with all levels of employees
• Demonstrated capacity to gain skill level in new technologies in a few months
• Working knowledge and ability to troubleshoot industry communication protocols including Modbus and OPC UA preferred
• Ability to read, understand, and modify P&ID’s and loop drawings