The Global Trade Agreement and Classifications Manager will develop the strategy and implementation of a sophisticated trade, classification, and preferential origin qualification program. This position is located in Houston (Energy Corridor), TX and reports to the Director of Global Trade Compliance.
The role is responsible for the trade-related requirements and oversight of global harmonized schedule classification, export control classification, free trade agreement application and implementing applicable regulations and procedures provided by the Nouryon Trade Compliance team. They will also be responsible for the cross-functional coordination involved in the import/export process to ensure compliance with regulations and internal policies, including, but not limited to, programs related to import/export declarations, documentation, Free Trade Agreement assessment and certification.
- Manage proper use and maintenance of parts classification (HTS and ECCN) databases knowing the risk of dual use as directed by Nouryon Trade Compliance Properly assigning Harmonized schedule classifications and export control number to Nouryon products;
- Conduct system checks for import and export controls and ensure that declarations are correct;
- Work with business to maintain accurate preferential and non-preferential certificates of origin;
- Assume responsibility for delivery and execution of a standardized, compliant global free trade agreement and government procurement program to support global business in coordination with the Trade Compliance Director
- Maintain key performance indicators relating to free trade agreement and government procurement programs as well as all other regional trade compliance productivity initiatives.
- Participate in communication with government authorities as it pertains to free trade agreement and classification audits/reviews.
- Ensures continual compliance with government rules and regulations, changes in policy, and other government matters through daily monitoring and direction from Nouryon Trade Compliance;
- Deliver and/or participate in training provided by Compliance on trade compliance;
- Provide daily import/export operational guidance to business units and service providers, including brokers and transportation companies;
- Understand the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, with major emphasis of Chapters 28 to 38 for chemicals and chemical products.
- Minimum of five (5) years import/export experience with emphasis on Import/Export Customs regulations, classification, and free trade agreements;
- Experience with Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS) ECCN determination, use of SNAP-R, State Department US Munitions List (USML) and D-Trade (Defense)
- Experience with certificates of origin for both non-preferential treatment and preferential treatment under one or more Free Trade Agreements;
- Experience managing the license lifecycle, and ensuring communication of license scope and status to all concerned parties;
- Ability to identify compliance-related risk and make recommendations for mitigating risk;
- Experience working with trade compliance tools and processes;
- Energetic, passionate and able to “think outside of the box” to provide solutions that support the Trade program and meet business needs;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred