Nouryon has an outstanding opportunity for a Technical Development Manager in Houston, TX.
As a Technical Market Manager for Lubricants & Fuels within Industrial Specialties Sales of Nouryon Performance Formulation team. An understanding of formulation and application knowledge to the area of Fuels and Lubes is required to deliver technical service and new product ideas. This position requires an excellent understanding of the test protocols, methods that are standard in the Lubricant and Fuels. This position may be asked to develop an understanding of the Oilfield markets.
- Describe the responsibilities and accountabilities of the job. Which tasks is the job holder responsible for? What results are to be achieved? Provide technical insight into the project feasibility, provide technical support in the way of field trials and outside lab coordination of tests
- Maintain and develop strong contact with customers and potential customers
- Develop protocols and conduct trials with customers
- Review patent and academic literature to generate value propositions & documentation for new & existing applications
- Train end-users, distributors and sales force in the Americas region
- Manage the shorter-term needs of the overall Lubes and Fuels and Oilfield business (often derived from sales opportunities of existing products)
- Ensure the right level of support is provided based on the size of the opportunity and the urgency of the request.
- Establish good working relationships internally and externally. This includes customers, distributors, industry consultants, and engineering companies, as well as Nouryon customer service, legal, logistics, product management, EH&S, production, technology and regulatory departments.
- Develop understanding about assigned industry (market size, products, competitors, and customers).
- Attend major industry conferences and participate in regional industry associations to network with industry players and increase visibility of Nouryon in industry
- Support Sales and Marketing Teams organization and customers with technical services and customer visits
- Translate customer and market needs into new products and opportunities
- Prepare and make presentations at internal and external events/conferences
- Effectively interact with internal and external customers and distributors as well as counterparts at other Nouryon locations
- Responsible for relevant product information (e.q. product data leaflets, technical bulletins…)
- Maintain highest level of safety and HSE standards in accordance to all applicable laws, regulations and Nouryon rules and procedures.
- Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Tribology, Rheology, Surface Sciences or related field + 3 to 5 years of hands on experience in the Lubes and Fuels industry.
- PhD in Chemistry (preferred)/ Masters in Chemistry (required)
- 5-10 years of related experience
- Leadership and Project management experience is preferred
- Analytical chemistry skills, analysis & searching of literature/patents, project management skills, proactivity, customer-orientation, and creativity are required
- Knowledge of demusilifiers, corrosion inhibitors, surfactants and polymers used to add functionality to base-oil formulations.
- Good understanding of the test protocols that are standard in the Lubes and Fuels market.
- Proven experience in the application of additives and additive packages use in Lubricants and Fuels