We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
Title: PSM Specialist
• Processes – Build line management understanding and compliance to Process Safety regulations and systems (20%)
Tasks: Be an influential advisor to line management by building and fostering a deep understanding of the theoretical concepts, regional regulatory requirements and industry standards and best practices focused on Process Safety systems.
Results: Process Safety internal and regulatory compliance
• Capability: Leverage Process Safety expertise to support all regional sites (10%)
Tasks: Provide leadership and coaching to the Process Safety Experts in the region with a very strong emphasis on personal development. Leverage and extend Process Safety knowledge through personal engagement. Support / guide the Hazard Study Leaders and Hazard Study Specialists (i.e. process engineers) in executing hazard Studies. Develop Nouryon training materials and workshops / webinars on process safety including Asset Integrity (AI), Hazard Study (HS), HAZOP, area classification, electrostatic safety, etc.
Results: Process Safety knowledge of all sites meets company expectation and can benchmark versus industry leaders.
• Delivery: Develop and deploy Process Safety management systems which support the process safety requirements in all sites (50%)
Tasks: Guide line management to implement Process Safety Management procedures, templates and tools. This includes future auditing and compliance activities. Take actions to implement consistent tools globally for Process Safety effectiveness (Hazard Study/LOPA, Mechanical Integrity/RBI, SIS management). Lead or participate in the HS/HAZOP for new projects and key existing operations. Analysis methods are primarily HAZOP and Hazard Study but may also include others e.g. Structured What-If Checklists, FMEA, Bow-tie, Quantitative Risk Analysis. Lead or participate in specialist PS reviews including area classification, static risk assessment, relief stream and venting, SIS program, SIL classification, LOPA, RCA etc. Serve as functional expert for process safety related incident investigations
Results: Established Process Safety management system
• Improvement: Act as a role model for compliance and commitment (10%)
Tasks: Spend time engaging with process engineers and process safety specialists and act as a role model for ensuring process safety continuous improvement
Results: Progress towards leading level of PSM (benchmarked versus peers)
• Strategy: Contribute to the Process Safety strategy (10%)
Tasks: Contribute to the development of the Nouryon Process Safety strategy. Includes design, deployment and delivery of the Nouryon Process Safety management systems.
Results: Global alignment of Process Safety strategy- Reduction of process safety incidents
• Process Safety regulatory updates in the region. Communications, training, and focused improvement actions.
• Drive operational discipline in process safety within the sites in the region.
• Insure all sites maintain a hazard study schedule and adhere to this. Directly lead HS and participate in complex HS.
• Lead or participate in process safety incident investigations.
• Alignment with recommended service providers for Process Safety consultancy, training, auditing, (and others to be determined)
• Establish and maintain a solid best practice platform between the regional experts through networking within Nouryon.
• Directly insure compliance at all regional sites, by tracking of site Process Safety issues, and compliance to all Nouryon and External regulatory requirements.
Bachelor, masters or doctorate level qualification in HSE&S or engineering or related discipline or equivalent by experience
10 years’ experience in the Process Safety in a chemical manufacturing environment. Site based experience important.
Hazard study/LOPA expertise with experience in leading complex hazard studies.
Strong strategic and conceptual skills with ability to execute and follow through;
Strong problem-solving skills
Positive influencing skills: ability to successfully work and convince others within a matrix organization, gain agreement or acceptance of plans, activities and ability to move others willingly towards a desired goal or course of action;
Ability to drive continuous improvement of the processes, policies, standards;
Able to work in an inclusive way in the HSE&S community
Strong communication and interpersonal skills, entrepreneurship, result oriented, negotiation, problem solving, project management, business acumen;
Very good verbal and written English language skills, and local language
Relevant experience in different multiple units, disciplines, locations and/or other companies
Must be able to travel 25-30% (domestic and international).
Specialized knowledge of Process Safety regulations in the region.