Nouryon has an outstanding opportunity for an “Environmental Liability Specialist – North America” in Houston, TX.
Job Description / Duties
- Responsible for the management of impaired sites and environmental liabilities associated with Nouryon’s North American portfolio (current and former operating sites) or other third-party obligations to ensure that the obligations are fulfilled and maintained in control, costs are minimized, and company reputation is safeguarded.
- Develop and execute strategies for assigned soil and groundwater remediation projects including adherence to corporate safety protocols, consultant management, budgeting and cost control, coordination with corporate functions (Legal/Finance/HSE) and manufacturing sites, and interaction with various regulatory agencies and external stakeholders.
- Effectively balance site remediation costs and risks in response to changing site conditions or regulations.
- Maintain relationships with regulatory agencies and internal and external project stakeholders.
- Negotiate with regulators and other stakeholders to avoid or minimize liabilities and to deliver solutions for environmental liabilities that are beneficial to the company and that limit future risks.
- Manage the costs associated with site remediation, review/approve invoices, monitor liability provision balances, and adjust provision balances pursuant to corporate/financial requirements.
- Manage consultants, contractors, and internal stakeholders to support remediation work.
- Review draft reports and submittals prepared by consultants for submission to regulatory agencies.
- Work with the legal department to assess alleged third-party environmental liabilities, execute access agreements and consultant/contractor agreements, and regulatory inquiries.
- May assist with merger and acquisition projects or management of international projects.
- Travel as necessary, including for fieldwork oversight and meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or related field
- 10+ years experience in site remediation preferred
- 5+ years project management experience preferred
- Ability to interact and communicate detailed technical concepts across multiple corporate and government levels and public entities.
- Preferred candidates will hold an advanced degree and a professional license (P.E., P.G.) or the ability to obtain within one year of hire.