We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
The Chief Technician is responsible for the on-shift direct operation of the Hydrogen Peroxide process to produce in a safe, environmentally sound, and efficient manner.
This job requires capability to work in a chemical manufacturing setting with rotating, stationary, and high voltage equipment, ability to climb multiple levels, work in/outdoors, various noise environments, and lift up to 50 lbs. The employee must possess the knowledge necessary to work and direct work of others safely.
Additional job context includes ability to read/write/analyze/interpret technical information, computer use, and shift work responsibilities
Principal accountabilities/critical objectives and authorities
- Directly responsible for unit operation in accordance with production/shipping plans, procedures, and requirements of applicable regulatory and certifying agencies regarding Safety, Security, Health, Environmental, Quality, Efficiency, and Costs. (Regulatory and certifying agencies include OSHA, EPA, MDEQ, FDA, ISO, DOT, NSF, OU)
- Responsible to maintain detailed knowledge of process equipment and operation of process equipment to train/direct/evaluate/develop assigned personnel
- Responsible for safe and efficient operation of the Boiler and C15 area
- Responsible to take offensive emergency actions up to and including plant shutdown for personnel and environmental safety
- Responsible for accurate documentation and follow-up of activities including process round sheets, inspection sheets, work permits, environmental reporting, special process conditions, safety incidents, etc.
- Responsible for fair and consistent administration of Company Policies and the Collective Bargaining Agreement as applicable to the work environment
- Responsible to utilize the Work Order System for notification of equipment requiring maintenance and, equipment preparation and permitting
- Responsible to function as “back-up” for Production Supervisor as needed
- Responsible for housekeeping in assigned area(s)
- Responsible for problem-solving, decision making, and communication of plant activities to ensure continuous and efficient operation
- Responsible to ensure hazardous wastes handled appropriately in accordance with RCRA guidelines
- Responsible for maintaining working knowledge in accordance with PSM guidelines and requirements
- Responsible for providing monthly financial close-out information
High School Diploma/GED with at least 2 years post-secondary/military education (technical area preferred); or three (3) or more years’ experience in the Chemical Industry.
Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and respond to technical data associated with the plant operation including demonstrating mechanical aptitude.
Ability to work with and apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, decimals, and percentages and to apply the results to plant operations. Must be able to work with metric system measurements and conversions.
Ability to solve practical and operational problems in the plant environment is crucial.
Ability to interpret sample results and take appropriate responsive actions.
Ability to interpret and accurately implement a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to work with Computer Controlled Plant Operations is required.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.