The Battleground site primarily produces metal alkyls, sold primarily as co-catalysts to major thermoplastic resins and rubber manufacturers (producers of polyethylene, polypropylene, and EPDM). The product line is complex with over 30 metal alkyl products (plus formulations) produced at the Battleground site. Products are extremely hazardous (pyrophoric, meaning they ignite on contact with air) and are highly reactive with water. The site also manufactures High Purity Metal Organics (HPMO) for the semi-conductor and LED industries.
Location: LaPorte, TX
Key Objective of Position: The Production Engineer will work as a technical resource for operations to optimize plant operations while enabling safe and efficient production of quality products.
- Support all aspects of the assigned production unit(s).
- Provide oversight and direction for unit performance (as measure by the OEE and material yields).
- Develop process improvements to effectively utilize equipment, material, and resource to maximize unit profitability.
- Diagnose and document root causes of deviations in the unit and improve operating discipline.
- Earn respect and trust of operations team through excellent problem-solving skills and technical expertise.
- Ensure compliance with plant operating permits.
- Implement cost reduction initiatives while maintaining high quality standards.
- Investigate problems, analyze root causes and drive solutions.
- Provide training and guidance to team members to accomplish production goals.
- Respond urgently to unit issues and emergencies. Act as a unit technical expert during unplanned events and drive implementation of effective corrective and preventative actions.
- Provide technical services and operating support for plant special needs, for example: unit start up, project commissioning, process and/or product troubleshooting.
- Provide support for the development and improvement of unit specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and all other technical documents requiring engineering input.
- Identify and lead engineering Management of Change (MOC’s) within the assigned production unit.
- Other duties and assignments as directed by manager.
Health, Safety, Security & Environmental Specific Responsibilities:
- Understand and assist with implementing the site’s Operating Policy and HSSE goals and objectives.
- Support and participate in on-going HSSE improvement activities and committees.
- Identify and lead projects related to safety and environmental improvements.
- Be aware of potential health, safety, security and environmental impacts in area of responsibility and the consequences if an upset occurs.
- Understand and implement any parts of the Battleground Site Environmental Compliance Plan and Waste Management Plan that apply to area of responsibility.
- Participate in the site’s on-going Pollution Prevention Process.
Quality Specific Responsibilities:
- Understand and help implement the site’s Quality Policy, Quality goals and objectives, and the Quality Improvement Process.
- Be fully aware of your specific quality assurance responsibilities.
- Be familiar with site-wide document control, internal quality audits, corrective action, non-conforming product and record keeping procedures.
- Be sure employees under supervision, if applicable, are aware of and are adequately trained in quality procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering and 4+ years’ experience, or Master’s degree in chemical engineering.
- Experience with design principles and project implementation.
- Process and product troubleshooting experience.
- Must be able to climb stairs and ladders
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English
- Good computer skills
- Must be able to wear steel toed shoes and hard hat.