The Chief Technician is responsible for the on-shift direct operation of the Hydrogen Peroxide process to produce in a safe, environmentally sound, and efficient manner.
This job requires the capability to work in a chemical manufacturing setting with rotating, stationary, and high voltage equipment, the ability to climb multiple levels, work in/outdoors, in various noise environments, and lift up to 50 lbs. The employee must possess the knowledge necessary to work and direct the work of others safely.
- Directly responsible for unit operation in accordance with production/shipping plans, procedures, and requirements of applicable regulatory and certifying agencies regarding Safety, Security, Health, Environmental, Quality, Efficiency, and Costs. (Regulatory and certifying agencies include OSHA, EPA, MDEQ, FDA, ISO, DOT, NSF, OU)
- Responsible to maintain detailed knowledge of process equipment and operation of process equipment to train/direct/evaluate/develop assigned personnel
- Responsible for safe and efficient operation of the Boiler and C15 area
- Responsible to take offensive emergency actions up to and including plant shutdown for personnel and environmental safety
- Responsible for accurate documentation and follow-up of activities including process round sheets, inspection sheets, work permits, environmental reporting, special process conditions, safety incidents, etc.
- Responsible for fair and consistent administration of Company Policies and the Collective Bargaining Agreement as applicable to the work environment
- Responsible to utilize the Work Order System for notification of equipment requiring maintenance and, equipment preparation and permitting
- Responsible to function as “back-up” for Production Supervisor as needed
- Responsible for housekeeping in assigned area(s)
- Responsible for problem-solving, decision making, and communication of plant activities to ensure continuous and efficient operation
- Responsible to ensure hazardous wastes handled appropriately in accordance with RCRA guidelines
- Responsible for maintaining working knowledge in accordance with PSM guidelines and requirements
- Responsible for providing monthly financial close-out information
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma/GED with at least 2 years of post-secondary/military education (technical area preferred).
- Three (3) or more years of experience in the Chemical Industry.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and respond to technical data associated with the plant operation including demonstrating mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work with and apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, decimals, and percentages and to apply the results to plant operations. Must be able to work with metric system measurements and conversions.
- Ability to solve practical and operational problems in the plant environment is crucial.
- Ability to interpret sample results and take appropriate responsive actions.
- Ability to interpret and accurately implement a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to work with Computer Controlled Plant Operations is required.
Physical and Environmental
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemicals in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, and personal care items. Building on the dedication of our employees and our shared commitment to safety, sustainability, and open innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers.
Nouryon offers a comprehensive array of benefits to support the well-being of our employees and their families. This includes paid vacation time, paid holidays, sick time, heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision plans, and a generous retirement savings plan in which the Company matches employee contributions at 100% on the first 6% of pay and makes an additional 3%+ service-based contribution.
All applicants offered positions by Nouryon will be required to provide proof of their fully vaccinated COVID-19 status prior to beginning employment, subject to any exceptions made by Nouryon for religious or disability-related reasons.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.