1. General information
1a. Job Title: Logistics Manager 1c. Date: September 2023
1b. BU: Technology Solutions 1d. Country and Location: US-Burt
2. Reporting lines
2a. Reports to: Manufacturing Director, North America
2b. Direct Reports: Logistics Supervisor, Truck Drivers, Warehouse/Logistics Operators
2c. Other Reporting Lines: Interfaces with Pasadena and Los Reyes logistics and quality control, Health, Safety, Environment, Process Safety Management, customer service, and logistics/operations functions at other sites
4. Key Objectives/Principal Accountabilities
4a. Key Objective of Position: This position is responsible for coordinating activities related to the shipping of site materials to Nouryon customers; coordinates the safe and efficient loading of trucks with product; assures compliance with all applicable regulations and maintains proper state of emergency preparedness; assists in improvement projects for the Burt site; and enters and receives POs as needed for site materials, security, and maintenance activities. This will include supervising logistics activities at the site.
4b. Principal accountabilities
- Establish a site culture of functional and operational excellence, accountability, professionalism and commitment to company values and standards.
- Plan, lead, organize & control the delivery of the site’s contribution to business objectives and overall performance in terms of health, safety, environment, and security (HSE&S), service and quality, costs, personnel, and community stewardship.
- Establish processes to identify and respond effectively to hazards in safety, health, security, and environment, taking account of people, plant, community, and procedures.
- Develop individual team members and build a team which collectively is capable of and fully involved in achieving business objectives.
- As a member of the business team, contribute to the formulation of business objectives from an operations perspective and ensure site capabilities, constraints and HSE&S considerations are incorporated into business planning.
- Lead an operational excellence agenda by coaching and teaching functional excellence in all areas while achieving sustainable improvement in safety, reliability, productivity, quality, and eco-efficiency of the site operations.
- Establish performance standards for the site and lead continuous improvement.
- Implement and operate the standard processes for the site consistent with the agreed functional excellence agenda.
- Facilitate capital projects.
5. Health, Safety, Security and Environment Specific Responsibilities
- Responsible for mitigating and leading others to mitigate potential health, safety, security, and environmental impacts in area of responsibility.
- Takes a lead role in actions required should an issue occur.
- Develop, understand, and implement any parts of the Burt Environmental Compliance Plan and Waste Management Plan. Is also responsible for site emergency response and spill prevention plans.
- Lead the site's on-going Pollution Prevention Process.
- Ensure appropriate security measures are in place for the facility including contracted security forces, perimeter security, and building security; maintain and update Site Security Plan.
- Insure all permitting and reporting with regulatory agencies and transportation agencies is up-to-date and accurate. This includes any associated testing and training as required by regulatory agencies.
- Participate and adhere to all applicable government regulations regarding process safety compliance responsibilities for the site. This facility is an OSHA PSM covered site.
- Understand and assist with upkeep of process safety information as required by role.
- Maintain a strong understanding of process safety and PSM management including the OSHA 14 elements of process safety and Nouryon 21 building blocks.
- Ensure 3rd-party emergency responders maintain competency and readiness needed to respond and mitigate incidents.
6. Job Context (the Nature & Scope of the Business)
The Burt site stores and distributes organic peroxides which are sold to major manufacturers of thermoplastic resins such as PVC, LDPE, polypropylene, EPS, and acrylic resins. Organic Peroxide products are hazardous, mainly due to temperature-controlled transportation and storage/handling.
8. Job Requirement / Candidate profile
8a. Theoretical qualifications and practical experience and essential functions
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering, supply chain, logistics, or another technical field.
- 10-12 years of experience within the chemical industry with a focus on supply chain, maintenance, and/or operations
- 3-5 years of experience managing teams
- Good people management skills
- Capable of identifying best practices
- Must be able to wear steel toed boots, safety glasses, and hard hat and be able to go into the plant routinely.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Good computer skills including demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, as well as SAP.
- Good analytical skills: ability to delve into and understand complex situations.
- Ability to innovate when problem solving and strong problem-solving skills as it relates to systems and processes are essential.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal skills, performance management, and people development skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and tasks with clear prioritization and organizational skills.
- Effective communicator with all levels of the organization (employees, managers, customers)
- Ability to effectively work with a small, multi-skilled team with overlapping responsibilities.
- Must be capable of driving a forklift, loading trucks, leading the team, performing SAP transactions (though these will not be core aspects of the job), and being a working Logistics Manager capable of doing all site roles as it is a very small team.
- Hazardous material
- DOT training
- Safety training
- Shipping procedures
- Product knowledge
- Customer knowledge
8c. Performance Skills
- High – Planning/organization, productivity, communication, teamwork/cooperation, work quality, health, safety, security, environment work quality, organization/planning, health, safety, security, environmental
- Medium - position knowledge, analytical ability
- Low - Innovation, creativity, self improvement