The primary focus of this role is to lead the strategic development and implementation of ESG reporting and disclosure framework within the finance organization, including operations, systems, internal controls, and process design. This role also provides subject matter expertise and technical support for ESG reporting across the globe (including guiding new SEC and EU standard implementation, advocacy with industry groups), and special ESG and sustainable finance related projects. The role will actively participate in the design and oversight of control and governance routines related to all ESG reporting, including sustainable finance target reporting.
This role is responsible for assessment of existing reporting processes, building out desktop procedures for all data providers, enhancing the processes, internal controls, and governance framework for all ESG and sustainable finance reporting to provide third party assurance on the accuracy, validity and completeness of ESG related disclosures (both qualitative and quantitative). The role is key in ensuring that Nouryon meets its ESG commitments, ensures transparency in its reporting, and develops and implements the necessary systems, processes, and controls to ensure success.
The role will report to the Company’s Chief Accounting Officer and will be the finance lead on the ESG Reporting Steering Committee, which includes (in addition to the Chief Accounting Officer) Deputy General Counsel, and Chief Sustainability Officer, amongst other senior leaders. The role will require close partnership with the sustainability, operations, legal, external reporting and HS&E organizations, and other relevant functions involved in Nouryon’s ESG initiatives and commitments (diversity, communications, etc.).
- Be the single point of contact at a leadership level on all ESG matters for the Finance organization.
- Work with the ESG Reporting Steering Committee to establish a governance structure, further develop Nouryon’s reporting strategy and lead the finance organization’s efforts.
- Responsible for ESG reporting integrity and assurance including ESG data, goals, commitments, and KPIs.
- Develop deep expertise on ESG trends, frameworks, regulatory requirements, etc. to advise management and work with ESG Reporting Steering Committee on our reporting strategy and key metrics (continuous learning)
- Lead the implementation of new disclosures that are expected to be required worldwide by regulatory organizations (SEC, EU, etc.)
- Ensure that Nouryon maintains an effective system of internal controls and processes, enhance our system capabilities, and ensure our ESG data is of the highest quality.
- Assess existing reporting processes including, input assessment, data capture, assessment of processes, controls and governance, and evaluation of system capabilities and lead control design and implementation of process improvements that reduce risk and create efficiencies.
- Control mindset – create process documentation under SOX program, establish policies, and enhance key controls (both financial and system related) as required.
- Continuous monitoring – maintain an effective internal control environment, validating the effectiveness of controls and the reliability of data used in reporting, and leveraging the use of technology.
- Optimize emerging technology to better serve stakeholder needs.
- Influence and interact with senior executives and key stakeholders, assessing the need to obtain audit assurance over certain metrics.
- Present to senior leadership on a regular basis on our status and progress across a broad range of internal stakeholders.
- BA/BS degree in finance, accounting or relevant fields
- 7+ years of professional experience that could be in corporate finance and accounting, public company audit, ESG, sustainability or related fields.
- Prior experience with assessing, designing, and implementing end-to-end processes, procedures, and internal controls. Ideal candidate to possess deep understanding of internal control concepts and is a self-starter who can lead the development and execution of the internal control environment.
- Passionate about the topic and have an analytical and a structured approach to data analysis and problem-solving.
- While not required, prior ESG related professional work experience (understanding of ESG concepts, regulatory and reporting requirements) will be considered valuable.
- Proven analytical capability/skills; detail oriented; ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Have experience with reporting systems and applications, process, governance and controls experience and skills.
- Ability to independently manage and lead key project workstreams end-to-end.
- Moves quickly from concept to action; able to establish priorities and achieve results.
- Data analysis skills and ability to create executive quality materials within tight timeframes with limited direction.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proven cross functional collaboration and teamwork skills; great at building and cultivating strong relationships with business partners.