This operator will be on a rotating shift schedule and have the responsibility to change process parameters as required to adapt to changing process conditions in order to make only high-quality products (at target and within manufacturing specifications). In order to determine product quality this position will be responsible for performing QA checks in the lab as well as maintaining lab equipment calibrations. If a product is outside specification, the operator should determine what measures need to be done to return the product to specification and then can perform these actions. This operator is the process expert and will troubleshoot, perform autonomous maintenance, and assist the Maintenance Technician with any required repairs, in order to maintain world class efficiency. Safety is the top priority at the Howard Colloidal Silica Site, and this operator will be a leader in safety performance and contribute to the positive safety culture at the site. Planning raw material deliveries based on the operating schedule, receiving materials, maximizing production and shipping materials are all activities this position will routinely do.
Nouryon’s goal is to achieve zero injuries and serious incidents. Everyone plays part in the company’s safety performance and all site personnel must work in a manner that protects the safety and health of themselves and their fellow workers
• We aim high - driving growth via collaborating with customers and colleagues to become more focused, faster, efficient and better every day.
• We own it – by being accountable and delivering on our commitments to customers, investors and each other.
• We do it right – by supporting coworkers, customers and communities through strong ethics, integrity and sustainability in mind.
Key Objectives/Principal Accountabilities:
1. Qualified to independently and safely operate at least one manufacturing process, including computer controlled (DCS) operations with several secondary job functions. Understands plant layout, main processes, product names, administrative processes, product specifications, and customer needs.
2. Competent in testing with lab equipment and performing lab equipment calibrations. Can perform lab tests, document accurate results and record quality control data in a computer system.
3. Has the ability to make critical process decisions and execute changes based on process data, quality checks and test results to keep products and process at target and within manufacturing ranges and plant environmental permits; including the ability to adjust process parameters to ensure customer needs are met. Able to assist in developing/updating operating procedures.
4. Competent in basic mechanical operations and maintenance including motor lubrication, boiler operation, air compressor operation, pumps and controls. Has the ability to troubleshoot equipment and processes and then take appropriate actions, such as performing autonomous maintenance or requesting maintenance resources.
5. Capable of multitasking - such as maintaining excellent housekeeping, receiving and shipping materials, performing some basic maintenance concurrent with performing other tasks.
6. Basic ERP system functions (SAP/MES) via the computer, such as releasing purchase requisitions, work order completions, receiving of goods, ship confirms and other functions as needed. Capable of completing of time sheets, utilizing the Performance Management System, and other administrative tasks.
7. Licensed forklift operator who can receive and unload all raw materials and who can independently package and load all finished products.
8. The ability to be a reliable and self-motivated employee who can plan ahead, work well with a team on a rotating shift and who has great interpersonal skill. The employee will be thorough with work, will take initiative by recognizing and competing tasks before assignment and will ALWAYS keep safety as a top priority
Responsibilities and Key Activities:
• Basic mathematical skills are required - including the ability to interpret tanker calibration charts, convert weight measurements between standard and metric, calculate product formulations, adjust product percent solids, etc.
• Basic literacy skills including the ability to read and comprehend instructions required to perform job functions, to maintain batch sheets, logbooks and other job function forms and reports, to understand and express information and ideas verbally.
• Basic computer skills in Microsoft applications (e.g. SharePoint)
• Capable of completing of time sheets, utilizing the Performance Management System and willing to embrace any other system that is deployed to the plant site.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the management.
• Must be able to work in a team-concept environment
• Must have the ability to creatively solve problems while maintaining a timely and cost-effective approach
• Must have good organizational and analytical skills
• Must have the ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
• Must be an effective communicator with all levels of the organization
1. Positively contribute to the safety culture of the site, actively participating in safety programs.
2. Actively participate in the autonomous maintenance program
3. Follow all company procedures, policies and mandates.
4. Actively participate in all company required training and development.
5. Take responsibility for safety, production assets, site operations and quality for customers.
Requirements for Job:
Minimum education of High School degree or equivalent with 5 years or more of experience in manufacturing/chemical manufacturing with chemical testing experience.
Licensed Forklift operator, Lab Testing, Basic Computer Skills (SAP, MES/EPI, Delta V, and Microsoft), Basic Math and Literacy Skills, Basic Maintenance and Process Troubleshooting.