We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
Location: LaPorte, TX
Battleground primarily produces metal alkyls, sold primarily as co-catalysts to major thermoplastic resins and rubber manufacturers (producers of polyethylene, polypropylene, and EPDM). The product line is complex with over 30 metal alkyl products (plus formulations) produced at Battleground. The site also manufactures High Purity Metal Organics (HPMO) for the semi-conductor and LED industries.
Key Objective of Position: To improve processes for manufacturing organometallic compounds. Evaluates methods to optimize and improve processes thereby increasing OEE and yields.
- Support all aspects of the assigned production unit(s).
- Provide oversight and direction for unit performance (as measure by the OEE and material yields).
- Support Metal Alkyl production in regard to rates and quality.
- Identify and lead quality and yield improvement projects.
- Identify and lead maintenance reliability projects.
- Seek to identify and lead process improvements using Continuous Improvement tools.
- Provide technical services and operating support for plant special needs, for example: unit start up, project commissioning, process and/or product troubleshooting.
- Provide support for the development and improvement of unit specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and all other technical documents requiring engineering input.
- Identify and lead engineering Management of Change (MOC’s) within the assigned production unit.
- Other duties and assignments as directed by manager.
Health, Safety, Security & Environmental Specific Responsibilities:
- Understand and assist with implementing the site’s Operating Policy and HSSE goals and objectives.
- Support and participate in on-going HSSE improvement activities and committees.
- Identify and lead projects related to safety and environmental improvements.
- Be aware of potential health, safety, security and environmental impacts in area of responsibility and the consequences if an upset occurs.
- Understand and implement any parts of the Battleground Site Environmental Compliance Plan and Waste Management Plan that apply to area of responsibility.
- Participate in the site’s on-going Pollution Prevention Process.
Quality Specific Responsibilities:
- Understand and help implement the site’s Quality Policy, Quality goals and objectives, and the Quality Improvement Process.
- Be fully aware of your specific quality assurance responsibilities.
- Be familiar with site-wide document control, internal quality audits, corrective action, non-conforming product and record keeping procedures.
- Be sure employees under supervision, if applicable, are aware of and are adequately trained in quality procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering and 4+ years experience, or Masters degree in chemical engineering.
- Minimum prior experience for satisfactory performance – 4+ years.
- Emphasis will be on unit performance and will require a thorough understanding of (Lean-6 Sigma) Continuous Improvement principles and tools.
- Additional focus will be on heat and material balances, equipment sizing, relief valve calculations and raw material yield calculations.
- Experience with design and implementation and project implementation.
- Process and product troubleshooting experience.
- Must be able to climb stairs and ladders
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English
- Good computer skills
- Must be able to wear respirator, steel toed shoes and hard hat.
- Participate and adhere to all applicable government regulations regarding process safety and environmental compliance responsibilities for the site. Nouryon Battleground is an OSHA PSM covered site.
- Understand and assist with upkeep of process safety information as required by role.
- Maintain a strong understanding of process safety and PSM management including the OSHA 14 elements of process safety and Nouryon 21 building blocks.