We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
The Pasadena site manufactures organic peroxides which are sold to major manufacturers of thermoplastic resins such as PVC, LDPE, polypropylene, EPS and acrylic resins. Organic Peroxide products are hazardous, mainly due to temperature-controlled transportation and handling. The Pasadena site also manufactures thermoset and crosslinking peroxides, as well as toll produces optical monomers.
Key Objective of Position: Accountable for directing, controlling and coordinating the manufacture of organic peroxides and optical monomers in order to meet all customer expectations safely while maintaining an environmentally sound plant. Responsibilities cover all phases of production operations at the Pasadena site. This position is also responsible for organizing, planning, directing and controlling department functions involving personnel, production costs, capital investments, quality, asset integrity, HSE&S performance. Key member of the Site Leadership Team. Fills in for Site Director in his absence.
- Direct manufacturing activities for six production units to meet sales requirements while utilizing personnel and equipment safely and efficiently.
- Determine resources required for optimum performance. Ensure that corrective/preventative/improvement projects requiring capital and external resources are advocated during the annual planning and budgeting process.
- Identify and implement solutions to mechanical, personnel, scheduling, analytical and technical problems within the department.
- Direct department related efforts for ISO quality systems and RC 14001 conformance.
- Develop annual safety and training plans for the production department and evaluate periodically to achieve plan. Responsible for leadership and successful implementation of HSE&S programs, including compliance with environmental permits, and HSE&S improvement projects.
- Analyze plant operations, plan and develop improvement programs to ensure safe operations, increase rates, improve yields, upgrade quality and ensure reliability in the production department.
- Develop departmental budget and control costs to meet budget. Responsible for monitoring and controlling of direct and indirect operating costs, variable operating costs (yields and efficiencies), capital investments and related noncapital expenditures.
- Responsible for site Variable Manufacturing Cost (VMC). Completed month end closing each month to close all Process Orders, reconcile variances in all raw materials. Additionally, responsible for annual inventory counts and reconciliations.
Health, Safety, Security and Environment Specific Responsibilities:
- Understand and help implement the Pasadena Site Operating Policy and Objectives which includes MTQ and ISO/RC 14001. Enforce all health, safety, security and environmental policies in assigned units.
- Be aware of potential environmental impacts in your area of responsibility and the consequences if an upset occurs.
- Understand and implement any parts of the Polymer Chemicals Environmental Waste Management Plan that applies to area of responsibility
- Participate in the site’s on-going Pollution Prevention Process.
- Responsible for evaluating operations of the plant to ascertain that the environmental permits are being complied with properly. Identify any areas that require environmental improvements and resolve any identified excursions. Review and implement recommendations of the Environmental Upset Reports. Visually inspect the area and review pertinent information to assure compliance. Undertake the appropriate environmental training to assure knowledge throughout the plant personnel.
- B.S degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 10+ years production experience in chemical facility
- 3-5 years supervision experience
- Good people management skills
- Capable of identifying best practices
- Must be able to wear respirator if needed, steel toed shoes and safety glasses to go into plant environment.
- Knowledge of plant processes, equipment
- Knowledge of products.
- Supervisory skills
- Statistical process control.
- ISO/RC 14001 Standards.
- Site practices
- Safety policies and procedures
- Incident Command
- Emergency response